Frequently Asked Questions
about the Option Method
by Deborah Mendel
- Who created the Option Method?
- Bruce Di Marsico created the Option Method some time before 1970. He taught many people from all walks of life for over 27 years. Since his death in 1995, his students and their students have continued to share and teach Option with people worldwide.
- What are the Option Method Questions?
- The Option Method Questions are:
- What are you unhappy about? (identify)
What do you mean? (clarify)
Why are you unhappy about that? (identify)
What do you mean? (clarify)
What are you afraid would happen or
What are you afraid it would mean if you were not unhappy about that?
Why do you believe it would mean that?
- Bruce designed and created this series of questions so that we may help ourselves or with the help of an Option Method Master Teacher, reveal the beliefs behind our bad feelings and unhappiness. You can also find a guide to applying the questions on your own in the article Rediscover Your Personal Wisdom and Happiness.
- How does the Option Method help people become happier?
- The Option Method helps people become happier by helping them to stop being unhappy (sad, angry, or any other unwanted negative emotion). Option accomplishes this in several ways. Firstly is Option’s attitude of love and the non-judgmental approach to exploring what exactly is making us unhappy. This attitude combined with the Option Method Questions unravel the mystery and “cloud of confusion” that usually surrounds our emotional upsets.
- How is the Option Method different from other kinds of self-help methods or therapies?
- The most basic difference between Option and other methods is the understanding that we are our own best experts. We each have our own, individual, specific, reasons for getting unhappy when we do. The Option Method Questions are designed to help us identify those reasons. Unlike other modalities, the Option Method does not require you to rethink, memorize or adopt a new belief or thought pattern. The Option Method Questions present a painless process that allows you to simply let go of self-defeating beliefs. The profound yet simple questions are unique to Option and were created by Bruce Di Marsico over thirty-six years ago.
- How does an Option Method Dialogue appointment work?
- The Option Method Master Teacher will guide you through your own process of self discovery. A skilled Master Teacher will ask you the Option Method Questions to help you uncover the core beliefs that are holding you back and causing your unhappiness. Trained to be an acute listener, completely non-judgmental, never projecting or making assumptions, the Master Teacher will help you to identify the beliefs behind your bad feelings. Most dialogues are one hour as this is usually plenty of time to address one and sometimes more than one unhappiness in your life.
- “It’s been my experience both on a personal level and as an Option Method Master Teacher that having someone ask you the Option Method questions in this dialogue process can be a profound experience. There is an awakening oftentimes when we hear ourselves reveal a belief out loud that we had no idea we were believing. It’s a unique experience that will help you understand the questions, how they work in practice and how to continue to use them for yourself in the future.” — Deborah Mendel
- Are there any books about the Option Method?
- You will find books and CDs by Bruce Di Marsico and also his students on our resources page.
- What is the difference between the Option Process and the Option Method?
- Bruce Di Marsico created what he called the Option Method nearly 40 years ago. Many of his students have shared the joy of what they learned from Bruce with others. One of these students was Barry Neil Kaufman. Mr. Kaufman has chosen to trademark and identify his work as the Option Process.
- It is now possible to experience the same classes Mr. Kaufman learned from through transcribed study courses and actual archival records of Bruce’s Option Method classes and workshops at the online Option Method archival library.
- The Master Teachers on this site are not currently affiliated with Mr. Kaufman’s work, nor are we up to date on his current teachings.
- How can I learn how to use the Option Method to help others?
- As the old saying goes, “Charity begins at home.” We would suggest that first you learn how to use the Option Method for yourself. This is best achieved by learning it with the help of an Option Method Master Teacher. We also encourage you read Bruce’s book and the several articles, and books by other authors highlighted on this site. The Option Method is very simple and has, in a sense, been passed on through Bruce’s students and his student’s students these many years. All of them bring their own special talents and gifts to this simple yet profound tool.
- Visit Option Method archives and begin a self-guided study course based on the archival library of Bruce Di Marsico’s classes and lectures.
- Is there certificate training available in the Option Method?
- Experience Bruce Di Marsico’s teachings through transcribed study courses and archival audio recordings of Bruce’s classes. Find out about current workshops. The archival library is online at http://www.choosehappiness.net/archives/.
- There will be, in the near future, an opportunity to receive a certificate of completion of training in the Option Method. Ms. Wendy Dolber, a student of Bruce’s for over 25 years, is designing her program at this time. Please contact Wendy for more information.
- How might I become a member of the Option Method Network?
- If you have learned the Option Method and would like to participate in this web site please contact Bruce’s widow, Deborah Mendel or by phone at 916-776-2266.
Copyright © 1999 Option Method Network. All rights reserved.
Not affiliated with the Option Institute